Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Tasty Tuesday -- Potato Pancakes

My friend Tracy recently posted here about her love affair with potatoes. (Say it -- "Po-tay-toes!") I mentioned in the comments that potato pancakes are high on my list, and after thinking about it, I decided I'd post the recipe here. I actually rarely make this recipe myself, because Roger is our "Sunday breakfast chef" -- I am so blessed that he does this -- but I eat them with gusto whenever he makes them. And, as I mentioned over at Tracy's, they're almost as good frozen and reheated, and believe me, I do that too!

The recipe is from Pan and Griddle Cakes by Samuel R. Ogden. The cookbook is mostly odd, since the author is a big fan of what he calls pulv, finely pulverized bread crumbs, as an ingredient. But these are great!

Luchow's Potato Pancakes

Wash and peel 2 pounds (6) medium-sized potatoes; cover with cold water and drain. Grate* and drain off any accumulated liquid. Place in a bowl and mix in 1/2 medium onion, grated. Add 2 T. flour, 2 beaten eggs, 1 1/2 t. salt, 1/4 t. pepper, 1/4 t. nutmeg, and 2 T minced parsley**, and mix thoroughly. Fry*** on a hot griddle or frying pan until brown and crisp, turning as needed. Serve while hot.

We've regularly tripled this, and had two pans on the stove going, as well as my electric griddle. Our kids like them topped with applesauce, but I usually eat mine plain, or with a little butter and salt. The original recipe suggests stewed apples.

* We actually grind ours in our meat grinder -- grating takes a while. Note that the pancakes call for roughly grated potatoes, not shredded. Use the side of the grater you'd use for hard cheese.

** Fresh parsley would probably be terrific, but we use dried and it's fine.

*** The recipe recommends frying in butter, but we usually fry ours in bacon grease. And bacon on the side would also be great, if you have enough pans. Bacon makes everything better!

Oh, yeah -- when I reheat them, sometimes I try to keep them as cakes, but sometimes I just chop them up with the turner and rebrown them, in more bacon grease, naturally. Tastes just as good, and is much quicker.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Mmmmmmm. Those look very very good. And bacon. Yes. Everything is better with bacon.

HereWeGoAJen said...

Elizabeth agrees that potatoes are fabulous!

Those sound delicious- especially with bacon.

Christina said...

I made these last night for dinner, fabulousa! I have leftovers too whoo hoo. Thanks for posting this; you always have the best recipes for a fellow lipomaniac with carb addictions tendencies like me.