Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Daybook , 4/20/10

Daybook.jpg

Outside my window... the trees have leaves. Some still tiny, some almost full sized. I can also see the extremely cut-back bases of some unidentified bushes, and dead stems from what may have been lilies. I need to get my black thumb repainted.

I am thinking... about how much I like being able to have the windows open. Right now it's just for a couple of hours in the afternoon, but soon we can have them open most of the time. And this house has way more working windows than our old one did.

I am thankful for... longer, sunnier evenings, that make me feel like I'm getting "more daytime" even though I still go to bed at the same time.

From the kitchen... Dinner was "cheesy tuna casserole." I was too cheap to use a can of mushroom soup, so I used white sauce with some shredded sharp cheddar, which helped to make up for the reduced protein in the ever-smaller can of tuna. I remember 8 oz. cans; this one was 5. If they make them smaller yet, I'll just use two cans and go back to my original recipe. (Roger voted it a success, by the way. Kelson won't eat tuna in any form, so we had this on a night he was going out withfriends.)

I am wearing... brown gauze pants (optimistic on my part), a cream cotton twinset and my L.L.Bean fuzzy slippers. Also the lovely amber necklace and earrings Roger got for me a number of years ago.

I am creating... the music planning sheets for our parish for the summer. A lot is stored in the computer from three years ago, but there are always niggling fact-checking and adjustments. I am procrastinating just a tad...

I am going... to the State Quiz Bowl tournament this weekend. Kelson's team "triple qualified*", so I'm hopeful that they will win at least a couple of matches before being eliminated. (It's double elimination.) If they win two on Friday they won't have to show up again until 1:30 on Saturday. If they lose their first match, they're back at 11:15. With a bunch of HS kids sleeping in a hotel, that will make a big difference in their alertness!

* A team can qualify by winning their league's regular season, or the league tournament, or another independent tournament. Some years our league sends three teams.

I am reading... The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley. I like his previous book, The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, and this one is also good, if not quite so quirky.

I am hoping... to get all my week's worth of household chores done before we need to leave for the tournament Friday morning. So efficiency is my watchword this week. So far, so good.

I am hearing... the hum of the refrigerator, and my keys clicking. It's quiet right now!

Around the house... I have a new bookcase to fill. My brother bought it for me, since he didn't think a can of spray paint was an acceptable housewarming present. it will let me get most of the books that are sitting between bookend on top of other bookcases onto actual shelves. Don't even mention any new books, or Roger will buy some. I'm more frugal, and get most of mine at the library.

One of my favorite things... is the icon that is sitting on yet-another bookcase in my line of sight. Our then-future son-in-law brought it back from Europe when he spent a semester in Austria. I think it's actually from Ukraine.

A few plans for the rest of the week.... the Quiz Bowl tournament. Choir is singing at 5PM mass on Saturday, and I sincerely hope to miss it because the team is still playing!!

Here is a picture thought I am sharing...



No comments: