Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Lord Peter Redux

It is symptomatic of how my life has been recently that I am still only half-way through the Wimsey books. I returned the two Paton-Walsh books to the library unread, and will check them out again when I get to that point. Fortunately, I own (battered decrepit paperback) copies of all the remaining books, so I continue slogging through. I expect to finish Have His Carcase as soon as I finish this post.

It is also symptomatic of the way my life always is that I have managed to read several other books during this period of "only" reading Sayers. The best new-to-me book has been Thirteen Orphans by Jane Lindskold. She has also written a number of books in the "Wolf" series, which don't appeal to me, but this starts a new series and I enjoyed it. I don't want to give away too much, but just let me say that if you enjoy fantasy novels AND mah jongg, then this one is for you. And if you just like fantasy novels, give it a try.

The other fiction I have succumbed to are some very old favorites by Mary Stewart. I don't particularly like her Arthurian cycle, but The Moon-Spinners and This Rough Magic I've read too many times to count. I hadn't thought about them in years, but I got into a conversation with one of the ladies at the Wednesday noon service I attend, and she mentioned that she still loved Mary Stewart. So off to the library I went. . .

And now I'm going to go polish off
Have His Carcase and move on to Murder Must Advertise. Caveat emptor, and hope to be back here soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of the reasons I was drawn to my husband is because he's also a huge Sayers fan. Key question: Do you like Harriet Vane?