Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Whatcha Readin' Wednesday -- 7/8/9

It's very tempting to start making apologies, but I said I wouldn't, so I won't. . .

I am in the middle of Conspirator, the Foreigner book I mentioned here*. I am greatly enjoying it, partly because Cherryh does such a great job and partly because I reread the whole previous series -- nine books -- last fall and didn't need to spend any time getting up to speed on who's who and what's what. I fully expect the ending to be slightly unsatisfactory, because the next book in what is becoming a quadralogy of trilogies has already been announced. But then it's no fun stopping LOTR after The Two Towers, either.

I am also in the middle of a non-fiction, Boy Alone, by Karl Taro Greenfeld. This is an adult writer's reaction to being the "other brother" in the family about which his father, Josh Greenfeld wrote A Child Called Noah (and several subsequent books.) Noah is profoundly autistic, born in a time when even getting a diagnosis was difficult, and I am very interested in hearing "the rest of the story." I find it hard to identify with the extremely secular life the Greenfelds lead, but it is clear that Karl loves his wife, his daughters, and also his parents and brother (all of whom I believe are still living.) It's always interesting to hear a story from an alternate point of view.

I also have a couple of other books out of the library which I may or may not read, depending on whether or not they live up to the quick glance I gave them. What I am going to read this summer, though, is all the Harry Potter books in order. I've been wanting to do it for a while, and the upcoming release of movie number six is as good a reason as any. Now if I can just stay away from the library. . . .

*You may have noticed that this is almost two months after I was first in the library waiting list. That's because when I put my name on the list, it was still "on order." It finally came in the end of last week.

1 comment:

Sarah in Ottawa said...

Ooo...a HP read-a-thon. I might just steal your idea! I haven't read them since becoming a parent, though -- I am sure that the "The Forest Again" chapter in HP 7 will be doubly difficult to read now.