Monday, August 13, 2012

Word & Question 23 -- better late than....

This is an entry in the Word & Question game -- also known as "Crambo"???-- hosted  by Enbrethiliel at Shredded Cheddar. It was supposed to be the July entry, but, well, summer is busy in a different way from the rest of the year.  So here you go:

Reunion

The tempting invitation shows up decennially.
Its latest iteration is here in front of me:
"Come back and see your hometown! 
Meet up with those you know.
Have dinner with your classmates from not-all-that-long ago.

The fee's not high -- I spend as much on many 
Friday nights.
The trip is relatively short; I ought to go, by rights,
But I am very different now, and maybe they are too...
Do you think you could come along?
At least I would know you!


Word: decennially

Question:  What's the worst that could happen?

For some reason this set of prompts made me think of Dorothy Sayers' character Harriet Vane, when she is deciding whether or not to revisit Oxford in Gaudy Night.  The poem didn't come out with her solution, but at least it gave me a place to start!


2 comments:

Thomas D said...

I cherish the simple diction of the second stanza, but I also like that you took your Latinate prompt, "decennially," and added more Latin with "iteration"!

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I've been thinking about school reunions lately, Ellen, so this one is a nice surprise! =D

I also love the bittersweet strain in the line, "But I am very different now . . ." We can't go home again, can we? At least the speaker and the friend have grown together since graduation and are still the same (in a sense) to each other.

Thanks for playing--and for your patience! =)