Friday, December 19, 2008

Flower of Jesse -- in the snow

"O Flower of Jesse's stem, you have been raised up as a sign for all peoples; kings stand silent in your presence; the nations bow down in worship before you. Come, let nothing keep you from coming to our aid."

Wednesday is never my favorite day of the week. I do too many of my least-favorite chores on Wednesday. But if I get them all done, I get to go to the Barnes and Noble cafe, sip a decaf mocha, and read for a while. Fortunately, Christ's coming doesn't depend on my working hard. I just have to be ready to stand silent in his presence.

This year this antiphon falls on a Friday. And there is so much snow that Christmas vacation began a day early! I have been doing a lot of running, but today I am housebound. And I need to find the silence and awe just as much here.

No comments: