Thursday, December 18, 2008

Lord of Might (and Freedom)

"O sacred Lord of ancient Israel, who showed yourself to Moses in the burning bush, who gave him the holy law on Sinai mountain: come, stretch out your mighty hand to set us free."

Obviously this is out of date; Maggie's been home for a year! But I certainly could use some heavenly freedom. This has been an Advent (and for that matter a year) of spiritual stretching for me. I can (sometimes) handle problems and challenges that would have caused me to melt down even a year ago. I'm glad to be stronger, but it makes me long even more for the freedom to see all of it from God's perspective.


The title I gave this post is a phrase from O Come, O Come Emmanuel. Because I've known that longest, I tend to remember the antiphons in its phraseology. But it's really more about freedom. I could sure use some strength and freedom these next two days. I have all my regular chores, plus wrapping still to do and a few final decorating touches. And Maggie is even now in an airplane, winging home from her semester in Austria!

I am very excited to see her, but since her best/cheapest flight package was from Chicago -- a six hour drive -- Roger has already left to pick her up, and they won't be home until tomorrow. They'll be stopping to spend the night at Arwen's house, which is almost 2 hours closer to Chicago, and then swinging over in the morning so Maggie can see Rosie and Daniel. So tomorrow afternoon! And George flies in on Saturday. Christmas is coming!!

No comments: