Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Tasty Tuesday -- Blueberry Cobbler

Today is the first day of school in Michigan. Tommy starts his senior year (bwaaah, my baybee...), so this is the last "first day of school" I will ever deal with. Sad, but wonderful -- no more paperwork!!

Ever since the first
"first day of school" when Arwen started kindergarten in 1987, I have tried to make a special dinner for the kids to celebrate. Many years it was hamburgers on the grill, but since the start of school is now right after Labor Day, that's not as thrilling as it once was. In fact, when I asked Tommy a couple of days ago what he'd like, he said he really didn't care. But yesterday evening he asked me if I knew how to make the blueberry cobbler that Aunt "Tink" made while we were in Pennsylvania. Since I gave her the recipe in the first place, the answer was "yes"! So tonight's dinner is creamed chicken and biscuits with this cobbler for dessert.

Blueberry* Cobbler

Preheat oven to 350
°.

Grease a 9 by 9 inch pan or casserole.
In a bowl, combine
1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 t. baking powder, 1/4 t. salt and 1/2 cup milk**.
Pour into prepared pan.
Sprinkle on
2 cups blueberries***.
Bake for 40 minutes.
That's it! Much easier than pie!!


* Actually, you can use any kind of fruit.

** I've never tried it, but I bet this would be even better if you used half-and-half or cream.

*** Tink used fresh; I'm using frozen because it's what I have on hand. Canned will also work.

2 comments:

HereWeGoAJen said...

That sounds really good and really easy. I am not a huge blueberry fan, but I will definitely try this with a different fruit. Thanks!

Roz said...

Thanks for your comment on my post. I think you, like I, ought to post more. What do you say?

And, but the way, we're neighbors.