Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Daybook -- 9/15/10



Outside my window... it's starting to be dusk. At 7:15 PM. But then fall starts officially next week.

I am thinking... that when I am done with this post I am going to go and take a hot bath. For some reason my joints and muscles are extra-stiff today.

I am thankful for...
the internet. In the last 48 hours I have video-chatted with Kelson in Florida, Google-voice talked to Brandon in California, and Twitter-followed them AND my other children, sometimes laughing, sometimes praying. But always happy to be in touch.

From the kitchen... "corn man" corn, tomatoes, and marinated cucumbers. The corn man has a large market building now, and sells plants and all kinds of local produce. But we have been buying corn from him since he sold it out of the back of his pickup
in a local parking lot. I used to do frizzled ham when we had this meal, but eventually we just went for corn as the main dish. Simple and delicious.

I am wearing... navy pants, a cream cotton twin-set, and black loafers. It was cool here today, although sunny and beautiful.

I am creating... a pink baby afghan. If I could just decide which pattern I wanted to use, I might get somewhere. But to this point it's been "do a trial swatch, and then frog*." I need to make up my mind. *Rip it, rip it!

I am going... back to Arwen's again on Friday. Bryan is away for work for ten days, and right now she has a friend visiting, but Roger and I are going to go down and hang with her and Camilla and Blaise for the weekend. Our car is getting a lot of highway miles.

I am reading... my library books as fast as I can. Nothing earth-shattering, but somehow I managed to check out eight or so on various occasions so that none of the due dates are the same. I just logged on to the library website and made a list of which book is due when, so that I can read them in the order I need to return them. Another reason I am thankful for the internet!

I am hoping... to get a good night's sleep tonight, assisted by that hot bath and some ibuprofen. The poor sleep and the aches and pains seem to be a chicken-or-the-egg thing, so I'm going to see if I can short-circuit it.

I am hearing... nothing much. It is very quiet around here now that Kelson is at college.

Around the house... I need to dust! Roger takes care of the floors, but I am responsible for everything above ankle level. And with the busyness and excitement of the last month, I haven't dusted. Maybe tomorrow.

A few plans for the rest of the week: tomorrow the first Noon Concert of the school year at our local community college with my friend Julie, a quick grocery run, and then the first church choir practice after summer break in the evening. A very musical day.

Words I'm pondering : "A miracle is when God does something that wouldn't happen if He didn't do it." -- C.S. Lewis

Here is a picture thought I am sharing....
This is Lauren Elizabeth, who is three weeks old today. Yes, she is a pretty girl ( ;-D), and she actually is this alert relatively often. I don't remember my own kids been awake and interested nearly as much at this age.

6 comments:

Tracy said...

Love the C.S. Lewis quote. I added a different one to the little box below my pic on FB that I thought was a good description of me.

And I can't see the picture for some reason :-(. How sad for me...

Salome Ellen said...

Other readers -- if you can't see the picture either, please comment, and I will try loading it a different was. It may be lurking behind a password....

Salome Ellen said...

Different waY.

ccr in MA said...

I can't see the picture either, but really I have to ask: frizzled ham? What is?

Salome Ellen said...

The picture should be visible now. And "frizzled ham" is fairly thinly sliced "real" ham (as opposed to deli ham) heated in a lightly greased skillet until it browns a bit and the edges curl or "frizz".

Rosemary said...

I can see the picture and she's beautiful. Nice post.