Sunday, August 21, 2011

Word and Question 15

This is my entry into the August round of Playing Poetry started by Enbrethiliel of Shredded Cheddar. This month is hosted by vvb32 reads, and you should head here to see links to the other entries. (You'll have to go to the comments to see the links.)


The theme for this month was "thriller, supernatural, horror" and we were asked to submit prompts in that genre. Since I'm generally a "scaredy-cat", my poem leans toward the "supernatural" end of things.


Adventure

I'm sure there are fairies
Around here somewhere.
When I was little
I saw them all the time:
Dancing in the garden,
Flitting above Mother's head
And winking at me,
Reflected in the mirror
In my room.

But Sister says
There are no fairies.
Only butterflies and shadows
And "figments of my imagination."
And she knows a lot.
She's old enough
To go to grade school now --
She reads these great big books
And thinks she knows it all.

But does she?
I just can't be sure.
Last night I'm pretty sure I saw
A fairy at the bottom of the stairs.
The fairy beckoned me
To come up to the attic where it's dark
And quiet. Sister thinks
It's damp and dusty so she won't
Go up there..... But I might.

Word: attic
Question: Where did they go?




4 comments:

vvb32 reads said...

weeeee, fairies! although your poem stays light and fanciful throughout the ending does have a touch of scary.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Old enough . . . to go to grade school! ;-) It's almost a snub. LOL!

I agree that the ending is beautifully creepy. I, for one, want to know what happens next! =)

PS--Have you read any of the Spiderwick Chronicles, Ellen? Your poem reminds me of the first book.

Salome Ellen said...

vvb32 reads-- Yes, but I presume it's little-kid scary, the kind that would make my granddaughter shriek, but leave me to smile knowingly. But maybe not.

Enbrethiliel -- I haven't read any of them, but I've seen the movie. I guess I need to add them to my ever-burgeoning to-read list!

San Diego Mobile Notary said...

I agree that the ending is beautifully creepy. I, for one, want to know what happens next!