Monday, October 27, 2008

Musical Monday - trial run

Since starting on Saturday I'm going to be posting every day, I've decided to use this week to work into things. And Musical Monday is a good place to start, since last Saturday night Roger and I attended a concert. Arwen and Bryan were also there, but our seats weren't together because they bought their tickets months ago, and we got ours more recently, as a belated anniversary gift from our kids. They had planned to send us to a baseball game, but by the time of our anniversary, there were no home games left that fit our schedule. That was fine with me, because I'd wanted to go to this particular concert since I'd heard it was happening.

The concert featured Fernando Ortega and Phil Keaggy. I thought that was an odd combination when I first heard about it, but.... Yeah, it was odd, but it brought together two whole eras of my life. I first heard of Phil Keaggy when I was still in college, and when I was working in a Christian restaurant/bookstore in the late 1970's, he was part of the background music of my days. Fernando, on the other hand, was opening for Michael Card on one of the many occasions our family has attended his concerts, and we became instant fans.

Fernando, for those who don't know, is a classically trained pianist who specializes in new arrangements of old hymns, and mellow slice-of-life songs. Phil Keaggy is an awe-inspiring guitarist who does old-fashioned rock and "Jesus music." And you know what? The concert was odd, and it was wonderful. And I hope I get a chance to hear either and/or both of them again soon!

2 comments:

Tracy said...

I've never seen Fernando Ortega, but I saw Phil Keaggy one night over 20 years ago. He was phenomenal. I've never forgotten that concert!

HereWeGoAJen said...

That sounds like a lovely concert! I haven't been to a concert in ages.