Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Let's Play Poetry!

Enbretheliel at Shredded Cheddar is doing a poetry meme; she gives you a word and a question, and out of this you produce a poem. (She's nice about it, and lets you give her the same!) For more details follow the link. Here is my entry.

Word: reflection
Question: How are cats helpful?

We are the proud possessors of a cat,
Or rather, really, he possesses us.
We put out food and water. Lucas deigns
To notice once a day, or maybe twice,
And never gives a nod of thanks, or purrs,
Or lets himself be cuddled on a lap.
He is the monarch of his home and life
Or so he thinks -- though we could prove him wrong
By never giving him the things he needs.
"Let's toss him out! See how he likes it then!"

Sometimes I think I act that way with God --
"I run my life; I'm sure You're there, but still
MY work gives all I need, or even want!"
I know this to be false, yet still I live
As though I were the monarch of my life,
Until I am stopped short by what I see:
My selfish life reflected in a cat.

How are cats helpful? Well, ours makes me see
I act toward God as Lucas does toward me.


6 comments:

Kate said...

Yay! Tag me, tag me! Maybe a meme will get me off my butt (ok, ok, on my butt, but *writing*).

Salome Ellen said...

Here you go --
Word: elephant
Question: How is illness redemptive?
And be sure to post a link.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

This is fantastic! =D When I saw that question in someone's e-mail, I hoped that I wouldn't end up drawing it for myself, because I don't get cats at all! It seems that it was the perfect question for you, though, for you produced such a lovely, reflective poem out of it.

My selfish life reflected in a cat: This is my favourite line! =D

And thanks so much for joining my first "Word & Question". (Your points for the contest/giveaway have been credited!)

Sullivan McPig said...

Love the poem. Great job

Belfry Bat said...

Yay! Another theological poet! And it scans nicely.

Kate said...

HA! This should be fun...