Sunday, March 28, 2010

Meatless Dinners -- or, What I blog if I can't get at Blogger to do Quick Takes

I really wanted to do a Seven Quick Takes Friday post, but Blogger has been down in my area ALL DAY, so I'm just going to post what's running through my mine whenever I finally get the chance-- (note; It was Sunday morning before I actually got to post this....._


As I was prepping the beans and rice for dinner tonight (Friday) it suddenly crossed my mind that there might be a whole month's worth of meatless recipes that Roger will eat. Kelson is another story, but he'll only be here through September. So, in no particular order, let's see:


  1. Monterey Beans and Cheese (over rice)

  2. Tuna Noodle Casserole

  3. Carrot-Cheddar Soup

  4. Chili Beans and Rice

  5. Beer-Batter Fish and Onion Rings

  6. Cheese Pizza

  7. Spinach Pie (OK, he''ll eat it, but I like it much more than he does...)

  8. Homemade Macaroni and Cheese

  9. Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and Tomato Soup

  10. Tuna Turnovers

  11. Tuna Melts

  12. Broiled Salmon

  13. Popcorn Shrimp and fries

  14. Shrimp Cocktail and Baked Brie with crackers (NOT penitential – we sometimes have this for an “evening in”)

  15. Vegetarian Minestrone ( another “eh”, but he'll eat it, especially with bread on the side)

  16. Pasta Marinara with fresh Parmesan

  17. Cheese Quesadillas with Salsa.

  18. Easter Breakfast Fish” (marinated overnight and charcoal grilled – YUM!)

  19. Cheese Omelets

  20. Whole-Wheat Yeast Waffles

  21. PB&J (although I leave the J out of mine)

  22. Cheese Nachos

  23. Lasagne (with chopped spinach instead of meat in the sauce)

  24. Bean Burritos

  25. Tuna Salad Sandwiches

  26. Cheese and Crackers and Kippers (for a snack meal if we are going out for drinks and dessert later)

  27. Baked Potatoes with Cheese (sauce) and Broccoli, and Bac-Os if we're going totally meatless, otherwise a little real bacon

  28. Mushroom Quiche (Yes, he's still a real man....)

  29. Lentil-”Sausage” Soup ( With soy sausage. I've never actually tried that, but with pork sausage the recipe is a favorite.)

  30. Crumb-Coated Baked Fish

  31. Poached Eggs on Toast (I've never actually tried Huevos Racheros, but they might work, too.)


Whew! I made it! I would say that a meatless month would almost certainly never happen around here, but it's nice to know that I could. (And yes, we eat breakfast for dinner a lot. It just usually involves sausage or bacon.)



No comments: