Sunday, May 23, 2010

Hymns for Pentecost

I've really gotten away from my "Musical Monday" posts because I've been (and still am) enamored of the Daybook thing as a quick way to get something onto the blog. But I can't let Pentecost go by without a sampling of my favorite hyms for the day. I didn't get to sing all of these today, but I got to read and hum them as I made my choices, and that's a win for me! Enjoy.

First and foremost:
Come Holy Ghost

Come Holy Ghost, Creator Blest,
And in our hearts take up Thy rest;
Come with Thy grace and heav'nly aid
To fill the hearts which Thou hast made,
To fill the hearts which Thou hast made.

O Comfort Blest to Thee we cry
Thou heav'nly Gift of God most high;
Thou fount of life and fire of love,
And sweet anointing from above
And sweet anointing from above.

Praise be to Thee Father and Son,
And Holy Spirit Three in one;
And may the Son on us bestow
The gifts that from the Spirit flow,
The gifts that from the Spirit flow.

The Latin lyrics are attributed to Rabanus Maurus sometime in the 9th century. These verses are part of the 19th century translation by Edward Caswall. I like it sung to Lambillotte, heard here.


Next up:
Breathe on Me, Breath of God

Breathe on me, breath of God,
Fill me with life anew,
That I may love what Thou dost love,
And do what Thou wouldst do.

Breathe on me, breath of God,
Until my heart is pure,
Until with Thee I will one will,
To do and to endure.

Breathe on me, breath of God,
Blend all my soul with Thine,
Until this earthly part of me
Glows with Thy fire divine.

Breathe on me, breath of God,
So shall I never die,
But live with Thee the perfect life
Of Thine eternity.

These lyrics are by Edwin Hatch. I've sung it to several tunes, and frankly, anything in Short Meter will do. (Scroll down the link if you are curious about hymn meters.)


And: Spirit of God, Descend upon my Heart

Spirit of God, descend upon my heart;
wean it from earth; through all its pulses move;
stoop to my weakness, mighty as thou art,
and make me love thee as I ought to love.

I ask no dream, no prophet ecstasies,
no sudden rending of the veil of clay,
no angel visitant, no opening skies;
but take the dimness of my soul away.

Has thou not bid me love thee, God and King?
All, all thine own, soul, heart and strength and mind.
I see thy cross; there teach my heart to cling.
O let me seek thee, and O let me find.

Teach me to feel that thou art always nigh;
teach me the struggles of the soul to bear.
To check the rising doubt, the rebel sigh,
teach me the patience of unanswered prayer.

Teach me to love thee as thine angels love,
one holy passion filling all my frame;
the kindling of the heaven-descended Dove,
my heart an altar, and thy love the flame.


Written by George Croly, and sung to Morecambe.


And finally, a peppy one from my college days:

The Comforter Has Come

O spread the tidings ’round, wherever man is found,
Wherever human hearts and human woes abound;
Let ev’ry Christian tongue proclaim the joyful sound:
The Comforter has come!

Refrain:
The Comforter has come, the Comforter has come!
The Holy Ghost from Heav’n, the Father’s promise giv’n;
O spread the tidings ’round, wherever man is found—
The Comforter has come!

The long, long night is past, the morning breaks at last,
And hushed the dreadful wail and fury of the blast,
As o’er the golden hills the day advances fast!
The Comforter has come!

Refrain

Lo, the great King of kings, with healing in His wings,
To ev’ry captive soul a full deliverance brings;
And through the vacant cells the song of triumph rings;
The Comforter has come!

Refrain

O boundless love divine! How shall this tongue of mine
To wond’ring mortals tell the matchless grace divine—
That I, a child of hell, should in His image shine!
The Comforter has come!

Refrain

Lyrics by Frank Bottome, tune by William J. Kirkpatrick. This link is about 2/3 the speed I'm used to; think a peppy waltz in one.

And that's it for my Holy Spirit music for Pentecost.
May the Spirit fill your day and your life!



No comments: