Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Tasty Tuesday -- Herb Cheese Toasts

We had a semi-unexpected guest for dinner yesterday. He's a family friend, and Roger's golf buddy, and when they decided that yesterday (and the rest of the winter!) was going to be just too cold for golf, I suggested that Roger invite him to eat with us. After some schedule juggling, he determined that he could come.

Now yesterday's dinner plan was nothing fancy. Every so often Roger makes ENORMOUS pots of chili or spaghetti sauce, which we freeze. I was simply going to heat up a bag of sauce, and boil some angel hair. Simple and good. (Well, I did forget to mention the freshly-grated parmesan...) I don't know whether Roger was inspired by the sight of the cheese, or thought our dinner was "too plain for company", but he suggested I add these. No problem!

Herb Cheese Toasts

Cut slices of French or Italian bread to a uniform thickness. (I used half a baguette I had in the freezer and quickly thawed. You want the slices uniform so that they broil evenly.) Melt about 1/2 cup (one stick) butter or margarine for each half loaf of bread. Arrange slices on a rimmed baking sheet, and drizzle or brush with the butter. (I usually drizzle, and then turn them over and rub the tops in any that runs off. Brushing is neater but slower.) Sprinkle slices with grated parmesan or romano (I used 1/4 to 1/3 cup) and dried Italian herbs. (My jar contains oregano, basil, marjoram, thyme, and cracked rosemary.) Place under broiler until cheese bubbles and edges are browned. Serve hot.

WARNING: These are addictive. The three of us finished off a dozen plus slices along with our pasta!


No comments: