Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Whatcha Readin' Wednesday -- 11/3/10

I actually just finished both a fiction and a non-fiction, so today I'll tell you what I just read, and what I just started. My current fiction is total mind-candy. The one I just finished is Needled to Death by Maggie Sefton. It's the second in a series about Kelly, a Colorado girl turned Washington DC CPA who gets called back to her little mountain hometown by her Aunt Helen's murder. While solving that (in the first volume, Knit One , Kill Two) , Kelly also gets hooked on knitting (surprise! ;-D ) with the group of women who frequent the yarn shop in her aunt's former farmhouse. Pretty standard mystery fare, and no real secret that by volume three Kelly will have given up the big city for yarn and the mountains. Fluff, but fun.

Just before I sat down to post this, I picked up Evans Above by Rhys Bowen. I've been enjoying her "Royal Spyness" series, and discovered this earlier series about Welsh constable Evan Evans. I'm hoping to read them straight through, although Bowen's website indicates that they're mostly out of print. I'm not surprised, since I'm reading this first volume in large-print format, which was the only way it is available in our local library system. If I find as I work through that some books in the series aren't available here at all, I'll try the state e-catalog.

On the non-fiction front, I just finished Theater Geek by Mickey Rapkin. I had enjoyed his Pitch Perfect: The Quest for Collegiate A Capella Glory, and thought I'd try this look at Stagedoor Manor, a famous (but not known to me) performing arts camp. Rapkin is an engaging storyteller, and if you can get past the culturally-obligatory "every young male interesting in acting is probably gay, and there are lots of them here" vibe (I rolled my eyes at least twice a chapter) this is a pleasant and informative read.

My next non-fiction... well, we'll see if I make it through. It's called The Little Book of String Theory, by Steven S. Gubser, and although my college minor was physics (major: math) I'm not sure that Gubser's attempt to simplify string theory is going to be successful. I've made it through the introduction -- which read a lot like the intro to a college textbook -- and I'm truly unsure wehther I will be able (or willing) to finish the rest. But for now, I'm going to try.

And today's burning (for me anyway) question: will blogging every day cause a serious reduction in my reading? Time will tell!




No comments: