Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Tasty Tuesday #4 -- Cranberry Relish

This recipe has been kicking around in my family forever. My sister-in-law was thrilled when I gave it to her, because my brother, who is the world's greatest adherent of all things traditional, was grumpy without it. Although Roger and the kids are fans of Ocean Spray jellied sauce in a can, I have an aversion to the texture (I don't like Jell-O, either.) So every year I make this just for me, and any guests who are brave enough to give it a shot.

Cranberry Relish

1 (12 or 16 oz.) bag fresh cranberries
1 apple (red preferred)
1 orange (seedless preferred)

Wash and pick over the cranberries. Quarter the apple, and core but do not peel. Quarter (and remove seeds if needed) the orange. Put all through a meat grinder, alternating berries and quarters of other fruit. Sweeten to taste with sugar (I use about 1/4 cup, but I prefer it tangy.) Stir well, and chill until needed.

My sister-in-law doesn't have a meat grinder, so she throws everything in her food processor. My brother hasn't noticed. And I know that my grandmother, who was diabetic, made it with sweetener instead of sugar. Also, I adjust the size of the apple and orange based on the amount of cranberries -- medium for 12 oz., larger for 16 oz.

And that's it -- a homemade Thanksgiving recipe that's easier than pie!


1 comment:

HereWeGoAJen said...

Yum! The only time I made cranberry relish, it came out too liquidy. I made cranberry-raspberry relish and I think there were too many raspberries. It was delicious though.