Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Whatcha Readin' Wednesday

Well, I finished all the Michael Ruhlman books. I really enjoyed them all. I found it fascinating that the essence of "what makes a chef" seems to have changed over the 12 years these books cover. It seem that the omnipresent media culture has affected this along with everything else.

I also finished Born Round, the autobiographical work by Frank Bruini, NY Times restaurant critic, who Ruhlman mentioned repeatedly. Bruini's book is a look at how he overcame childhood chubbiness and disordered eating to become a fit, healthy restaurant critic. Unfortunately, it's pretty clear from the book that the disordered eating was only one symptom of a neurotic complex that he still hasn't acknowledged. I felt compassion for him, but I wouldn't recommend the book.

My current non-fiction is Wednesday Is Indigo Blue: Discovering the Brain of Synesthesia by Richard Cytowic and David Eagleman. I became interested in this topic after reading this post of Arwen's. (And Lindsay, I know you have it too.) I'll report back after I finish more than the first chapter.

On the fiction front, I picked up April Lady by Georgette Heyer from the new book shelf on a hurried sweep through the library. With a copyright date of 1957, the book is not itself new, but is out in a new paperback edition. I love Georgette Heyer, and when a scan of the first page didn't immediately produce an "oh, yes, this is the one where.." I grabbed it. Don't get me wrong, I know I've read it, but I seem to have forgotten enough details to make it almost-good-as-new. Heyer is always a joy!

One feature of this edition of AL is a foreword by Kasey Michaels. I've read some of her mystery/chick lit stuff, which is meh but OK if you don't have anything better. but it seems she also writes Regencies, so I'm giving her A Most Unsuitable Groom a try. It can't possibly measure up to Heyer, but I wanted several books and was in a hurry. That's what I love about the library -- If you hate it you can just take it back!

I have exactly 10 minutes before I need to go start supper, so excuse me, I'm going to go play a dumb game on Facebook. Catch you tomorrow!

1 comment:

Sarah in Ottawa said...

I am currently in nostalgia mode (thanks to our local library) - I am re-reading the 'Macdonald Hall' series of YA books by Gordon Korman. He wrote the first of the series while in 7th grade! They still make me laugh out loud, espeically "The War with Mr. Wizzle" and "Beware the Fish".

I've not read any Heyer, but perhaps I will check it out.